She's getting too big!

Family Reunion!

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Trip to the Hospital

First of all, sorry there are no pictures. I know that's what everyone enjoys the most. I will post more later. We had our first trip to the doctor today. One other family was wanting to have their daughter looked at, so I decided to take Sarah too. As much of an adventure as it was, we are both glad that we did. Turns out the other family's daughter has pink eye and Sarah has bronchitis. They both have red throats. They wanted to give Sarah an injection, but I told them I had antibiotics at the hotel. They asked what it was and were statisfied with what I told them. They did give her some other Chinese medicine for the cough. Not so sure she will get that though.

Anyway, we took a taxi to the Children's Hospital of JiangXi Province. Wow! That was an experience. We walked several places before we found where we were supposed to be. We had to wait quite a while before our guide, Catherine (Praise God for her!) figured out where we were supposed to go and who we should talk to. Anyway, I had the privilege of seeing a Chinese diaper change and also the alternative method. That will have to go in another post.

The whole experience cost 32 yuan for the doctor visit, including medicine, and 11 yuan for the taxi ride. Total in dollars? $6. No that's not a typo - six dollars!

So we are back at the hotel. I had bought an orphans medical kit before we left. It had amoxicillin (just add the water) in it and a few other Rx things for pink eye and diaper rash. It also had a bunch of other things (non Rx), but after today I would have paid what I paid just for for the amoxicillin. Thankfully I have a friend from high school whose husband is a doctor and he helped me though this whole thing, especially with the dosage. Thank you, thank you!

Tonight we are going to a park for some sort of fountain show and a Chinese dinner. I will post pictures then.

1 comment:

crazy college mom....... said...

Cheap healthcare, huh? I'm sure it's not anything like what you would experience in the states. We're you told beforehand about bringing medication? It's a good thing you had something for her.

Get Well Sarah! You have to be healthy when you see your big brothers. I have a feeling they will keep you pretty entertained.